Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Managing the Chaos

It seems like the time around Christmas is one of the most busy times of the year for many people. I heard a friend tell me the other day that he had something happening every single night up until Christmas. Now, I hope that I don't make life busier for people by the things I do. We just finished up the kids Christmas program at Church, which is an effort that few people understand, but it basically took about six months.

Six months, and within those six months, we have changed jobs, moved, cleaned out an old house, cleaned out a camp (still working on that, actually) and have tried to adjust to a new schedule, pace, and lifestyle. I enjoy the Christmas program work so much, and I had thought that maybe I would take a break from that next year (Since I would be a church volunteer!), but last night I learned something interesting.

I was talking to the kids last night about the whole celebration of Christmas. I asked them what was important to them, and they said, "going to Grandma's" and the Christmas program. Those two things are what they think of when they think of the celebration of Christmas. It hit me at that moment that the reason I haven't been real excited about decorations and trees and lights and all that jazz was that the Christmas program was over, and I was ready to move on. And the kids kind of think the same way.

I knew they enjoyed working on the program, but I didn't realize how important it was to them.

BA did a sermon Sunday about the question, "Are you ready for Christmas?" His point was that it is much more important to be ready for the Day of the Lord. I have spent so much time obsessing about "being ready for Christmas" that I missed the importance of prayer and Bible study - listening to the voice of God.

I have been studying and memorizing 1 Peter - I've got chapter 1 and 3 verses of chapter two as of this morning. 1 Peter is our text for camp this summer. 1 Peter 1:3 says, "In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope that can never perish, spoil, or fade - kept in heaven for you..."

Life with Jesus Christ is a living hope - not a dead hope. Putting all your stock in the business and glories of Christmas is a dead hope. The Christmas tree, with all it's beauty, after it is cut and stuck in a stand in your house, is a dead tree. It will be thrown out and it will decay. Now, I am certainly not against decorating or having Christmas trees, but I wonder how many people misplace their Christmas "hope" into something that is a dead hope, and not a living hope.

God loves beautiful things - even decorated, pretty, wonderful things. Surely heaven is not built out of ugly concrete blocks. The Tabernacle was one of the most wonderfully beautiful things that God's people put together, all under God's careful instruction. The temple that Solomon built was glorious and beautiful beyond description. But when God's people started worshipping idols and turning away from God, God allowed that beautiful building to be destroyed. Even the temple during the time of Jesus was beautiful, but horrible and disgusting things were done there, and God again allowed it to be destroyed.

If anyone ever asks me again, "Are you ready for Christmas?" I will ignore the fact that it is a dumb question and ask myself, "am I ready to face God?" So, I will hopefully answer YES!

No comments: