Sunday, June 25, 2006

Deliverance before Obedience?

(Proverbs 27:17 - "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." ESV)

This morning was a rare morning at Church where I actually was able to hear the sermon. Most Sundays I am teaching children's church during both services. Occasionally I schedule others to take over so we can sit in the service.

This morning BA was preaching about the 10 Commandments - kind of an introduction. He really stuck to the first two verses of Exodus 20.

And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who
brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. Exodus 20:1-2
ESV


His basic point was that God's grace precedes God's Law. God delivered the Israelites, then demanded obedience from them. I thought this was an interesting idea, since many people think that the Old Testament shows the "God of Law" and the New Testament shows the "God of Love."

He also made the point that demanding obedience before offering deliverance is never God's way and only leads to failure. God provided every possible want or need in the garden before Adam and Eve chose to rebel. Romans 5 says while we were still God's enemies, Christ died for the ungodly.

This really made me think of so many Christians who want to force Christianity on a culture that really doesn't want to go that direction. We can't begin with moralizing. We have to begin with our own sinfulness and God's love for us through Christ. In fact, Jesus' most harsh and condemning words were reserved for the religious leaders of the day who practiced "God's Law" but did not want to be bothered with God's Love and Grace.

I have been around some homeschoolers who wear their homeschooling like a Pharisaical mantle, demonstrating their great superiority over all the secular schmucks who send their kids to public school. Oh, I wish they would go away!

As for me and my house, I want to obey and love God not to earn God's favor, but because He first loved me. I think that there are many people who say they are "Christians" but have never acknowledged that they are sinners - the place to start in order to receive His grace.

BA also said that the 10 Commandments teach us how to love God and love others. I really like that part. The more we teach and preach the practical application of God's Truth, the better off we are! I hope everyone was listening and thinking about ways to apply this great sermon.

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Titus 2:11-14 ESV

No comments: