Sunday, August 26, 2007

End of an Era

This has been a day that included a kind of emotional drain - not just for myself personally, but for our church, because this was our preacher's last Sunday. I guess I have never experienced this in my entire life - hearing the last sermon of a dear friend and mentor.

Being at the camp, I am sure that it won't be the last time I will hear him preach or get to spend time with him; in fact I asked him to speak at a retreat here at the camp next spring. Having said that, after working under him for the past 10 years (nine years actually working there under him as youth, children's and family minister), it is a little hard to take.

My kids have listened to so many of his sermons that they are very comfortable with him, and they listen well. While most of the other kids go off to children's church, all of ours age 5 and up sit and listen to the sermon.

The kids asked me this morning who would be preaching next week, and I had to tell them that I had no idea. I hope that it will be someone as honorable, and God honoring, as BA Austin.

jc

No comments: