Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Reflecting on two days of planning and dreaming

Today completed two days of meeting with our camp directors - planning, dreaming, prioritizing, etc. I can truly say that in all my years of ministry, I have never been involved with such an intense time of looking ahead at the big picture. I feel that there are many areas that we need to improve here at the camp, but I am excited to see the beginnings of a long range master plan in all areas.

I still can't believe that God has allowed me the privilege to be a part of this, and to be a leader in this ministry.

We were sitting on the Retreat Center deck last night in the dark, with the full moon shining on us, and I couldn't help but think of my life and ministry in analogy to the moon. I am to be a reflecting the glory of God to my family, my friends, my whole circle of influence - and it is not to be the light or wit or glory of myself, but the light and the glory of God.

I am reading a book called "Cat and Dog Theology" which has challenged me to make God famous in everything that I do and everything that I am a part of. That is hopefully what I will do more and more in my own family and in my ministry here at MBC.

I also love the quote from John Piper that says that if anything makes us more content than God, then we need to fast from it. That is exactly what we want people to do when they come to camp - to fast from the things that not only bring them more contentment than the Lord, but also all those things that distract them from listening to and obeying His Word.

Maybe we should start a class at church called the "Moonshiners" - maybe that would be misunderstood.

jc

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when you made mention of reflecting God and being a 'moonshiner'. My husband taught high school class for several years and then was the YM for 2 1/2 years. He was (and still is) always coming up with funny sayings to make the kids remember what he taught. He did a series of lessons on being a reflection of God. The terms he used were "Be the Moon" and "Moon someone"! As strange as those sayings may be - they remember!