Monday, March 13, 2006

Of Tornadoes and Culture

Well, last night was interesting.

As I began to realize that a very intense, tornadic storm was heading directly toward us, (about 10:00 PM), I was trying to decide what we should do. We could have hid in the closet or even our skanky little cellar, but I didn't really like either idea.

The TV reports were coming in about 3 inch hail, and it made me cringe to think of our van being trashed by hail. The path of the tornado was heading just north of us, but close enough to make me know that it was time to jump in the closet or get out of dodge.

So I hastily decided that by driving just a few miles south, we would be out of the path of the storm and away from the hail. I told the boys (who were still awake and already scared since they had heard the sirens) we were leaving. They leaped from their beds with great joy and scattered to the van like rabbits.

I gave Jason the keys and told him to go unlock the van, while I started trying to wake the girls. Jenette had already taken Jenna out to the van, so I started by waking up Jordan. She gradually woke up (at this point I realized I should have done all this ten minutes sooner!), and after leisurely using the bathroom, dawdled out to the van.

Then I started trying to pick up Jewel, but I realized that she had wet the bed and she was completely soaked. She was totally asleep, so I just tried to strip her down as fast as I could.

We were going so fast that I picked her up, grabbed a clean blanket, and rushed her out to the van. Jenette was very surprised to see the poor cold little naked thing! Then I ran back in, grabbed Joy, and ran out to the van carrying her under my arm like a football, (she squealed every time I took a stride) and threw her in.

As we were rushing away from the storm's onslaught, it occurred to me that people in the area most likely had little else on their minds. We didn't have any problems or any damage at all, but it made me realize that when imminent danger is upon you, all other considerations are small. We left the lights on, the doors unlocked, and the poor dog still in her cage.

In doing my ministry to families, I wish more families would see the imminent danger of the godless popular culture. Instead of rushing out of danger, even so called "Christian" families are more like the scene in Independence Day where all the partiers are on top of the building looking up at the spaceships, saying, "cool" and "awesome" until the destruction rays started blasting them into oblivion.

The tornado of culture creates a wide swath of destruction to children and families, but instead of getting out of dodge, so many people I know are driving their families right into the hook echo. Sigh.

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. Ephesians 4:14-15

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Excellent post! It made me laugh, and reflect! Love ya Netz.

Chuck said...

Molly & I heard about the tornadoes in SW Missouri from Jennifer. Seems that they had two "tornado parties" at the Freeman Hospital parking garage two nights in a row! Joe and Jeanene (visiting from OKC) and their younger kids even got in on one of them. (They've apparently gotten pretty good at these parties, and keep their party supplies at hand! Pinochle anyone?) ;-)

-- (Grand)Dad Johnston

Anonymous said...

Wow...our stay in the hallway seems pretty tame and unadventurous and what a great analogy! Janet