Monday, March 20, 2006

Why the "rapture" is not Biblical Part 1

The concept of the “secret rapture” has gained so much momentum in Christian circles these days, that it indeed has threatened to silence any opposing views as “anti-God” and “anti-Christian.”

Indeed, such popular preachers and authors such as John Hagee have condemned anyone with an opposing view to hell. (For more on John Hagee’s beliefs, see http://www.equip.org/free/DH005.htm) According to Hagee, the widely held view for centuries that Christ’s coming and the day of judgment are all one tied together event (called “amillienialism” by some) is an “ancient Godless heresy that is again raging through the Church masquerading as truth.”1

It is that fierce dogmatism against a traditionally orthodox Christian view that concerns me and threatens to divide Christian unity. While I would never say that premillenial dispensationalism is a “modern godless heresy,” it certainly is a view that has its problems. But for this article, I’m going to stick with the rapture idea.

I call the idea of the secret rapture the “poof-rapture.” This is intentional, because many people hear the word “rapture” and they instantly think it means Jesus’ second coming. Even those who do believe in the “poof-rapture” know that it does not mean Jesus’ second coming. The word “rapture” is a word that I think should not be used at all, not only because it is not a Biblical word, but more importantly, because it is a word that has changed meaning over the years.

Most people who use the word “rapture” are talking about the “poof-rapture” idea, but many people don’t understand this. In a recent sermon I preached on 1 Thessalonians 4:13 – 5:11, I felt it was important to take the time to address this popular notion of the “poof-rapture,” because everybody hears about it, but few people understand it, and even fewer understand the Biblical support that those who believe it use.

I was talking to a Christian brother once about some of these issues, and I said, “there is no evidence in the Bible for the rapture.” This otherwise kind and very friendly brother gruffly said, “well that’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard,” and turned and walked away. Of course he did not stop to ask a question or to defend his position in any way, he just dismissed my view as “stupid” and ended the conversation.

I wondered later if he had confused the word “rapture” with Jesus second coming, and he thought I was saying that there was no Biblical evidence for the second coming. I am not sure, but that is why I am careful to make a distinction between Jesus’ promised second coming, and the secret “poof-Christians-are-gone” idea. I use the word “poof-rapture” to be absolutely clear to people what I am talking about.

That conversation also showed me how personally and deeply held certain beliefs are. I think it is most important to build our thinking and beliefs completely on the truth of God’s Word, instead of what any preacher or teacher alone has to say.

Just as the Bereans were commended for searching the Scriptures daily to see if what they were being taught was true in Acts 17, so should we. And even more so as the tools of worldwide communication media present even more viewpoints from even more voices. With that being said, I openly submit my attempts to study and teach God’s Word to the authority of the Word of God.

If any person who is examining the Scriptures daily to see if what I am saying is true or not, finds that I am in the wrong, I wish they would tell me. I openly invite any person to challenge my thinking, because I know that will help me. I am not a debater, and that is not my goal – to debate people; but if any reader can show me from the Scriptures where anything I write or say or do or think or whatever is wrong, then I will welcome the rebuke. I truly want to live by the wisdom of these Scriptures:

Proverbs 15:31-33 He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise. He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding. The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.

Proverbs 27:6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

No comments: