Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The brother in humble circumstances & other things.

Things I have been thinking about:

1. James 1 (I finally finished memorizing James)

James 1 says that the brother in humble circumstances ought to take pride in his high position, but the one who is rich should take pride in his low position, because he will pass away like a wild flower.

It is amazing sometimes to think about the amazing depth and cultural relevance that just one small verse of Scripture can bring. Our family studied this verse tonight (Jenette had to take the two little ones out - they were howling like monkeys). Kids can think about such deep things when they are challenged to. Jason said that it was interesting that rich people are compared to a wild flower - not a flower in a garden that is cared for and is constantly tended to. I couldn't help but think of all the so called beautiful, and famous and popular people who bring so much attention to themselves by the fame, beauty, power or whatever. But each of them are nothing but a wild flower that will pass away even while they go about their business.

But James also says that God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. At the risk of being too "flowery," I would rather be a dandylion in God's garden than a daffodil in the world's ways.

As I look around and listen to the news about the government spending money it doesn't have to do things it shouldn't do, I also can't help but think that our country is very much like that wild flower. Maybe it used to be within God's garden - tended and cared for, but the forces of worldly freedom and worldly thinking have moved the flower out into the wild places of the world. Sadly, I think that sometime in the future, the blossom will fall and the beauty will be destroyed.

I have been studying Deuteronomy, and there is a constant call to the Israelite nations to either obey God and continue with God's blessing, or forget God and fall under curses. Not only have we forgotten God, but it seems like our country's leaders have gone past all wisdom and have gone straight to outright foolishness.

God, help me to continue to be a "brother in humble circumstances." I want to inherit the kingdom He promised to those who love Him.

2. More "extreme gardening."

My project to actually have a back yard for the kids has been moving along - we actually can get to the creek now, and after another day out there, I think the kids will actually be able to get in the creek without fighting through a million rose vines. We have found the perfect tree for a tree house, although it is still in the uncleared area. We also transplanted six small pine trees from a forested area of the camp to our front yard.

3. Prayer for the Camp

I am praying that MBC will be blessed because of my efforts - like Joseph, whom God blessed because of his faithfulness. I am praying for 2000 campers and 200 decisions.

4. Being the Spiritual mentor and teacher that I need to be for the 8 J's

We have changed some of our routines to help make this work better. I am making progress in this area. I think this is an area that got kind of lost (at least in the regular practice) in our coming to work at MBC transition. After spending several hours praying the other day one of the conservation areas nearby (I'm glad there weren't any hunters there!) - I have seen the importance of getting this back into regular practice.

No comments: