Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you

I have been memorizing 2 Timothy and studying it in the light of my role as a parent. I think that application is valid in the sense that Timothy was a young leader of a Church - a local family of God that most likely got along like many families do. Those who are immature (like my little girls) are constantly bickering because of their selfishness, and those who are older and wiser (my now four budding young adults) have to exercise great patience with the little squirts and great discernment in their interaction with the wider world. Paul spoke to Timothy as a father to a son - the letter is almost like an impassioned plea for Timothy to stay the course - to endure as a Godly leader.

So, in the sense of application, I take it that way as well - I need to stay the course -to endure hardship, to remain faithful in the ministry and duty of teaching and training my own children to be Godly adults. I think that parents too many times forget that we are not supposed to be "raising children," but we are to be training our children to be godly adults.

"...and of this gospel I was appointed a herald, and an apostle, and a teacher," Paul says in 2 Timothy 1:11. I think that defines my role as a father - I need to be a herald - an announcer and proclaimer of warnings and blessings, in advance of the coming King. I need to be an apostle - a communicator of a specific message directed to my kids - that they are sinners and they need to humbly offer their lives to the Lord. I need to be a teacher - to explain to them what the Scripture means to the best of my ability. It was the lack of guidance in these key areas that led the Israelites to falter - because they didn't pass it down to the next generation.

It's interesting that many key Bible leaders did not pass down their faithfulness to God to the next generation. We are only one generation away from complete Biblical ignorance.

So, I am trying to take my role seriously. Trying to tackle this with the kids, we did a study last night about understanding the Scripture. I think my lesson went a little long, as they were kind of getting squirrelly toward the end, but that's how it goes sometimes. It has helped greatly since we have been putting Josie in bed before our Bible Study. She is the reigning "Queen of Squirrelly" and the class clown at age 23 months.

Anyway, I reminded them that three questions we should always ask when approaching the Bible are:

1. What does it say?
2. What is the author's intended meaning (AIM)?
3. How do I put this into practice in my own life?

Or, another simple way to put it is, read it, understand it, and apply it. We have been digging in to James - helping them read, understand, and challenging them to apply it. Even through the squirrellyness - (is that at word?) - we have had some great discussions.

Does Christ-likeness just ooze into a young person's life? Obviously not, as I have simply observed eight children as they grow through all their issues. In fact, it is exactly the opposite, as UN-Christ-likeness actually oozes out of a young person's heart because our hearts, even as small children, are hardened against righteousness. I have thought many times before that someone might call me a "one point Calvinist," because I do think we are evil, and completely prone to sin.

If that evil is not trained out of the child, it will take root in his little life and become a monster.

Paul says in 2 Timothy 1:13-14 -
"What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you. Guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit, who lives in us."

I think Paul is talking about the Salvation that God gives us (if you look at the context), but again, I am thinking about being a godly herald, apostle, and teacher to my children in applying these verses. Is it not equally true that I need to be keeping as the pattern of right teaching what God says in his Word? And I need to be guarding this thing that has been entrusted to me - the spiritual health and guidance of my children - it has been entrusted to me, and to me alone, with the help of my wonderful wife.

Fathers, what are we waiting for? The reason this generation is morally bankrupt and Biblically ignorant is because we have become too friendly with the world. We spend more time and energy pursuing our careers and our pleasures than seeking God and teaching His Word. We have ignored Moses' warnings to not forget God's commands. We have ignored Moses' call for fathers to teach their children diligently who God is and how we need to live for him. Even in the Christians homeschooling movement, it is primarily led by women - moms who teach their kids.

Where are the parenting Elijahs? - Fathers who will call out this generation and cause a ruckus by asking "How long are you going to waver between the two sides of the fence? Who are you going to serve?"

I hope that some day, when I croak, my kids will remember that a relationship with God and the diligent knowing, understanding, and applying of God's Word was more important for me to pass on to them than anything else.

If you are a dad, reading this, then I encourage you to obey the Scripture and make a concerted effort to teach your children who God is and how to live for Him by giving them the Word! That's what I want to do, what I am trying to do, and I ask any godly man to help me stay at it by keeping me accountable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most excellent, and I appreciate the time you have been taking to train our children, and teach them God's Word. I know that their motivation to memorize God's Word comes from your example and continual encouragement! Jenette.